Attention CCR Instructors & Dive Centre Owners – we need your feedback
Pete Mesley of Lust4Rust (www.lust4rust.co) will be doing a presentation at OZtek Tech Diving Conference in March this year “Are rebreathers ready for the recreational diving industry – is the recreational Diving Industry ready for rebreathers?”
He really need to hear from Instructors and Dive Store owners alike. He would appreciated getting as many comments as possible, where you personally stand, your thoughts and comments.
Below is a few questions which he would be most grateful if you answered:
Tech divers have already embraced the technology. Training agencies and manufacturers are obviously going to directly benefit from expansion, but its in the trenches where Instructors are dealing with people all the time. I have categorized divers into 4 main groups (shown below), obviously there are more groups, but in the advent of simplicity and the relevance of the topic I have kept it to 4.
I would appreciate it if you could answer the questions below and any comments you might have on the topic. I have kept the questions to a minimum, but if you have any comments about the topic I would LOVE To hear them.
Can you please email me with all your comments. Thank heaps, I really appreciate it.
Categories of Diver
1. RESORT DIVER (only dive when on Holiday, little or no training, resort style diving)
2. AVERAGE DIVER (diver who does an average of 20 dives a year, goes on holiday with a few dives, own their own gear)
3. SERIOUS DIVING ENTHUSIAST (Diving is their main sport, heavily invested in diving, own their gear, but purely rec diving – no tech or deco)
4. Technical Diver (fanatical about diving, dives well beyond rec limits, does little else except dive, own all gear, invested lots of money in training, travel and gear)
1. Do you think CCR Rebreathers have a place in the Recreational Dive Market?
2. Where do you see, them fitting in the market (from the list above)?
3. Are you preparing to train CCR’s in the Rec market? – Who do you see as your biggest market?
4. Do you have any personal comments about CCR’s in the rec industry?
FOR DIVE STORE OWNERS
1. Would you mix CCR divers on boats with O/C divers?
2. If someone was a CCR diver who wanted to do a longer bottom time would you be able to accommodate them?
3. Are you happy to change the routine of your dive business to accommodate this?
4. What is the average time people spend underwater each dive?
5. How many dives do you offer in a day?
6. Do you think that CCR diving in the recreational market is upon us?
7. What challenges do you envisage if you adopted CCR diving in your operation?
8. Are you interested in looking at becoming a CCR friendly operation?
9. Do you think that investing in Rebreather Support/Training/Equipment & Service is is going to benefit your business?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.